You are here
Renaissance Module - Curriculum, November 2012
Thursday through Saturday
November 8–November 10, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Registration is closed.
The Renaissance Program
The Renaissance program offers intensive trainings for religious education leaders and is a major component of the Religious Education Credentialing Program of the Unitarian Universalist Association. Each module includes 15 hours of training. Modules in the program are: Administration of Religious Education Programs, Unitarian Universalist History, Curriculum Planning in the Local Congregation, Developing a Philosophy of Religious Education, Ministry with Youth, Training Teachers, Multicultural Religious Education, Unitarian Universalist Identity, and Worship for All Ages.
About the Curriculum module: Curriculum planning is a process that brings together our Unitarian Universalist principles, our religious education philosophy and goals, our religious education leadership, and our human and material resources to provide for religious growth and learning for all ages in our congregations.
The goals for participants in the Curriculum Planning Module are:
- To clarify and expand ones understanding of curriculum in particular and religious education in general
- To understand the total curriculum planning process and to practice strategies to use the process effectively in ones own congregation
- To learn about a variety of curriculum sources and resources, including what is new, what is working well, and where to find these resources
- To become familiar with various models for “doing” religious education
- To practice evaluating and “tweaking” curricular plans
- To learn how to extend radical hospitality through curricular choices and implementation
- Working in teams, to develop useable curricular projects that can be brought home to congregations
- To network with other religious educators and to feel affirmed and nurtured by a supportive community of religious educators
Reader: Fashion Me a People, by Maria Harris
The reader is used extensively throughout the module; participants should have read as much as possible before coming. Participants should purchase the book directly from a local bookstore or online.
Nancy Combs-Morgan is the Faith Development Director for the Heartland District and the MidAmerica Coordinator for Emerging Models in Youth & Young Adult Ministries.
Tracy Beck is the Director of Religious Education for Children and Youth at the First Unitarian Church in Des Moines, IA.
Thursday, November 8 through Saturday, November 10, 2012
5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Thursday
9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Friday
9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon Saturday
Prairiewoods Franciscan Spirituality Center
120 East Boyson Road
Hiawatha, Iowa 52233
October 18, 2012
Registrations will be accepted from October 19, to November 1, only if space is available.
On or before October 18: $285
October 19 – November 1: $310 (if space is available)
Fee includes all snacks and meals, including dinner on Thursday and lunch on Saturday.
Fee includes lodging at the Prairiewoods Franciscan Spirituality Center.
Some scholarship monies are available for religious educators in Prairie Star District and for congregations registering teams of two or more. For more information, contact:
Phillip Lund, plund [at] psduua [dot] org or (612) 230–3274
If you cancel before October 18, you will be charged a $15 processing fee. If you need to cancel your registration on or after October 18, you will need to find a replacement to attend the training. If no replacement is found, half of the registration fee will be refunded.
To cancel notify Phillip Lund, plund [at] psduua [dot] org or 612–230-3274
For more information
Director of Faith Development and Congregational Growth, Prairie Star District-UUA
plund [at] psduua [dot] org or 612–230-3274
Registration is closed.
Register by filling in the form below.
You can pay by credit card or check. Select payment method at checkout.
If you select check,
- checks must be received by the registration deadline of October 18. If your check has not been received, your registration will be cancelled.
- make your check payable to Prairie Star District and write "Renaissance Mod" in memo line
- mail the check with a copy of your registration confirmation email to